Not The Calm Evening I’d Like

Anja Storm

OK so last night I had to go down to the pier. I parked further up on the Esplanade, and walked along to the park. I needed to keep an eye out for HQ, other superheroes, cops, boaties, anyone. I didn’t want anyone at all seeing me.

See, I don’t know who the good guys are here. I don’t know who the bad guys are. I don’t know who knows what or who’s working for who. But I do know that if I’m seen here, I could be accused of something that I don’t want to be accused of.

It wasn’t the calm evening I’d like. This is a tourist town. Even though it’s been windy and rainy lately, summer holidays and Christmas time mean it’s always busy here. There were dog walkers, musicians gathering, restaurant diners, joggers – basically everyone. I slid behind a big cypress tree and slipped into invisibility mode.

The pier was full of people walking, eating ice cream, and fishing. I hung around, completely invisible, and counted the cargo ships. Took note of the times they were passing. Not a glamorous superhero spy job. But it’s all for the greater good, right? So I do it. I don’t know if I’m working for the cops or Superhero HQ. But honestly? I’m working for myself here. I’m doing what I have to do to do the right thing.

The job itself was pretty boring, but there was something interesting. I brought a torch with me. One from HQ. From my gear bag. I shone it at each boat tied up there, and you know what? One of the little fast ones had the name Sea Mission, and when the torch lit it up, the name changed to just the number 6!

If you read my blog two posts ago, you’ll know what this means. It’s mine to use! HQ own it. I have the key card for it. I don’t know the first thing about boating, but my guess is it’s all fuelled up and ready to go.

It would probably be a lot easier taking the boat out to count ships. Maybe even to board one. But I can’t do that because the police think I’m working for them. If they see me out on a boat they’ll be asking a lot of questions.

So I did the dull job until dawn, and drove home. I should have contacted Billy or someone from the station, but I was so worn out from being invisible all night, I could barely keep my eyes open. I didn’t think I would be able to have a coherent conversation.

I got home, gave my cat Cleo her asthma puffer medication, and slept until the afternoon, when my watch woke me up.

It was Boss. I’m under instruction to go dark.

Great. I’m on my own in this.

Enter your email to receive all new posts:

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *